Who doesn't love a good Chicken Salad? There is just something about a salad that lets you use up left over chicken and any crunchy veggies you might have left in your fridge. Even if you aren't a fan of mayo, creamy salads on crackers or great bread really can't be beat.
You can really spice up this chicken salad in any way you like, change up spices, add your favorite fresh herbs like chopped dill, throw in any of your favorite chopped vegetables (carrots, green onions, left over peppers, zucchini, mushrooms, really anything chopped into salad sized bites will work!) there are no rules when it comes to chicken salad! I love the sweet and surprising addition of grapes in my salad, but I always leave them out for my dad, so you can also mix up a few different batches at once so everyone gets just what they love!
This is one of my favorite easy go to picnic or lunch recipes, I hope you enjoy it as much as I do. I love the pops of crunchy vegetables, explosions of sweet grapes, and crunch of salty chopped nuts of your favorite kind, it's like a party with every bite.
Call for Action! Wrap up the Story
CHICKEN SALAD FOR A CROWD
Total Time: 35 Minutes Servings: 14
- 2 whole Rotisserie Chickens, picked from the bone and chopped
- 4-5 Stalks Celery, Chopped
- 1 whole White or Red Onion, Chopped
- 1/2 Red or Orange Bell Pepper, Chopped
- 2 cups Grapes, Cut into Quarters
- 1 cup Low Fat Mayonnaise
- 1/2 cup Plain Greek Yogurt (can use low fat or full fat, whatever you prefer)
- 1/2 cup Salted Cashews or Almonds, Diced
- 1 Tbsp spicy curry powder
- 1 Tsp. Garlic Salt
- Juice Of One Lemon
- Salt To Taste
- Ground Black Pepper To Taste
1) Shred the chicken from the bones and diced into large bite sized pieces and place into a large bowl. Alternatively, you can boil 2 whole chickens and shred the meat, save the stock and simmer it with additional carrots, onions and celery tops and you'll have wonderful homemade broth for another recipe! If you won't use the broth right away, freeze it in containers or ice cube trays to pop into any recipe in the future.
2) Chop the celery, onion, peppers, grapes and nuts. Place the veggies into the bowl with the chicken. Save the grapes and nuts to be mixed in at the last minute.
3) In a small bowl, mix mayonnaise, yogurt, lemon juice, curry powder, garlic salt, salt and pepper to taste. After tasting and making sure it is what you were hoping for, pour over the chicken and vegetables and toss together gently.
4) Toss in grapes and delicately stir everything together. I like to let the salad sit for a few hours or even over-night so the flavors really come together.
5) Once you are ready to serve, toss in the chopped nuts so they stay crunchy and fresh!
My favorite way to serve this salad is on crusty french bread or your favorite sandwich bread, but it is also great on crackers or over lettuce cups for a low carb option.
- I've taken this salad on a picnic and find it even chills in the freezer really well, so you can freeze for about 2 hours prior to leaving for your hike, and it will come back to the right temp by the time you are at the top of the mountain! Just rip a baguette into pieces and enjoy!
- Also packing a frozen water bottle in your bag for longer hikes keeps everything cool and gives you a wonderful chilled bottle of water by the end of the trek!